May 7, 2008 Berry calved early morning. Phil was out in Yuma planting corn for work so I was flying solo. Checked cows that morning and this new little one was up and drinking already. At first all I could see was the tail-end...looked like an all black calf...then saw a white face...couldn't get close enough to see the brockle maze...so she looked like a black bald face...that was pretty interesting since mom is Red and dad is black and white (with more emphasis on white). Sure was wondering if Catfish jumped the fence in the middle of the night...but once I got a closer look this one is definitely Dr. Seuss. He's been throwing that brockle face and this one looks just like Dr. Seuss's mom (just black instead of brown).
We have one more to go, and she's the tie breaker. Currently we have 5 bulls and 5 heifers....hoping the bulls win this year. I can only keep about 15 females around and right now with yearlings and the newbies, I'm at 22....gotta starting selling soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment