Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Bull Video & Rattlesnake Kate

The above is a video of Dirty Rice's first trip out of the right. He's been kicking well, but hadn't found his spot out of the left hand delivery. Phil thought it was time to switch sides on him. Sure glad he did. When we named Dirty, I planned on naming 1 calf every year a Rice name...Wyld Rice, Red Beans & Rice...I have a whole list....but it kind of started and stopped with good ol' Dirty.

This is Dr. Seuss's first trip after breeding cows. Some bulls will come off a little lazy and take awhile to get back into bucking. Dr. Seuss didn't miss a beat. I truly believe he's a bull that enjoys bucking just as much as he enjoys breeding.



Both of these bulls are out of Rattlesnake Kate. She's one of the first cows I bought and came from Monty Branum as a 3-in-1. Dr. Seuss was the calf on her side and she was carrying Dirty (by Monty's bull Mamu, a very impressive bucking bull).


We named her Rattlesnake Kate for a lady that lived in our area in the 20's. She took her kids out on horseback and came across a den of rattlesnakes. The only thing she had to defend herself was a no trespassing sign she found on the property. She fended off about 100 snakes. Once the story circulated she was renamed by the town folk "Rattlesnake Kate". The newspaper story about her is displayed at our local coffee shop. Since our place was covered with rattlesnakes, we thought it would be fitting.


When we first moved in we started noticing that something was getting into our haystacks. We have a herd of deer across the road and figured it was them. Until I woke up early one morning and caught Kate. She'd sneak through the fence and either eat the grass off the ditch or get into the haystack. She knew the exact time that I would come out to feed and would sneak back in seconds before I'd step out of the house. Little does she know I am just a little sneakier then she and was able to figure her out. We soon decided we could no longer put off our project of putting the stays in. And that's how we ended her midnight snacks.



Phil started calling her Katherine, like a parent calling their kids by their full name....KATHERINE..... At first I thought, no, you can't call a cow the same name as my mother. But when I started thinking about it I came to accept it. I think my mother would be proud. Maybe it wasn't a coincidence that that our best momma cow carries her name..even if it's only when she's acting up or being goofy.

No comments: