Thursday, March 20, 2008

A watched pot never boils

Babies are a comin'

Every spring it's the same thing, looking at the cows is like looking at a wrapped present on Christmas Eve....can't wait to see what you got.

I had a cow abort her calf this last Saturday, he was 3 weeks early. Not sure why, it could be anything really. She probably got a horn in the gut from another cow and it put the calf in distress. It was pretty sad. Wasn't sure if I'd mention it on here, but it is part of this business. It's a sad part and everytime I loose a calf I cry. I'll cry everytime though, it's who I am. They are my children, well grandchildren after all.

But enough of that.... All of my Catfish daughter's look close. 2 of them were AI'd and the perfect due date would be April 2nd. The 3rd, Ramona, was live bred by Sagebrush. She could be due on Easter, March 23rd, if they got to business on the first day. From the way she acts, it might be.

But, a watched pot never boils...I'm trying to be patient. I'll post pictures as the little ones are born. Can't wait.

Predictions:

Phil says all 3 before the weekend.
I think Lil Miss will calve on Saturday and Ramona will calve on Sunday Easter day. Blackberry will be April 9th.

The others are looking close too, but not as close as these 2. Jenny Belle and Fishhook may surprise us with a little one, but I bet they are another week or two out.

1 comment:

Jami said...

Yeah! Another post. See isn't this fun? I can't wait until you get baby pictures up! I guess losing new baby calves doesn't bother me as much when it just happened out in the pasture, but when we tried to save them and they still died, then I always felt bad. Hope you have a great Easter!