
Ramona, a Catfish heifer out of a longhorn/limo cross, calved today.
This morning when we woke up it was dreary and snowing, so we figured today would be the day for atleast one calf. I was checking cows about every 2 to 3 hours. At noon no calves and no signs of calves at 3...our new little bundle was running around enjoying life.
It was actually very cute...and reminds me of when Ramona was born.
Ramona's mom, Little Nellie, was a cow of a friend, Dave Taylor. He had to sale her to make room for his wife's barrel horses. Dave didn't want to take her to the salebarn so he made me a pretty good deal on her. I bred her that year to my infamous Catfish.
Little Nellie had Ramona on a windy day and was the only cow smart enough to calve in the windbreak. Ramona was just born, barely cleaned off and she jumped up ran to her mom's head (who mind you hasn't even had time to stand up) and went to hooking her. She's throwing her head at mom and being very playful. I knew we had a frisky one, but I didn't have much hope for her as a bucker and producer. Phil said she'd be one of the best buckers that year. Luckily I was wrong and he was right, these pictures are of her when we bucked her at 14 months with a dummy.

The new little one inheritad Ramona's spark. When I looked out to check cows, I see Ramona running around the pasture being chased by a little black calf. I'm worried at first that the calf was trying to drink and mom didn't know what to do. But the more I watched the more you could see they were playing. The calf would run and mom would chase him..then he'd stop and mom would stop..the the calf would chase mom...and it would start all over again. After about 15 minutes they stopped completly and baby got himself drink from mom (another drink I'm sure and an energy drink at that). What a character these 2 are.
March 27, 2008 Ramona calved - calf by Sagebrush. Sex undetermined.
1 comment:
Congrats mom on your new baby! Can't wait to see pictures. It's snowing here today too. Yuck!
Post a Comment