I hate the snow. At least during calving season and at feeding times. Yesterday we heard the weather reports predict anywhere from 2" to 18" (depending on which news cast you listen to). We fed heavy and put out corn stalks to keep everything warm. My biggest concern is the newest little guy, 872. hopefully he'll get to experience some sunshine soon.
We woke up to a few inches of snow and the cows were smart enough to sleep in the pen with the windbreak and cornstalks. They've stayed there all day.
I've been checking about every hour (lucky me I can see them out the window). No new babies, so that's good. I've seen a few times where 872 got up and drank. Mom has kept him close in the windbreak, that's my girl.
We put off calving this year until April because March is usually our snowiest month. Shouldn't have changed it since March was sunny and dry.
My neice, Mary K and nephew, Jake are coming up this weekend. I can't wait to show them all the babies. They are great kids and I always look forward to the weekends I get them. My very favorite time is the mornings, they've learned if they wake up early they can go out and help me feed...they never miss an opportunity to help out and love being around the animals.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey I hope you took pictures of your niece and nephew. I would love to see them.
How was your weekend with the niece and nephew? How are the babies coming along? Would you believe my crazy husband is bringing home a blind calf for us to raise? Sigh...
Post a Comment